Never leave cooking
unattended. Oil or fat can ignite.
Always turn oven and
burners off when you are finished cooking.
Always unplug electrical
appliances when not in use.
Keep children a safe
distance from cooking areas.
- Cooking requires you
to be rested and alert.
- Avoid cooking when
under the influence of alcohol or medications
Wear Short or
Close Fitting Sleeves
- Avoid loose sleeves
that may contact burners and catch fire.
- Avoid storing items
on or above your stove.
Pot Handles In!
- Prevent burns and
stovetop fires by turning pot handles toward
the back of the stove while cooking.
- Whenever possible use
rear burners. Pot handles that stick out can
easily be grabbed or bumped by a small child.
- Keep appliance
surfaces free of spills and grease that may
Combustible Items Clear of Stove
- Keep curtains, dish
towels, plastic containers, and potholders
away from hot surfaces.
- Operate Microwaves
- Always use potholders
or oven mitts to remove foods from microwaves.
- Remove lids carefully
to avoid steam burns.
- Do not use paper
towels in the microwave
- Avoid overloading
electrical outlets with too many kitchen
- Carefully examine
electrical cords and discard any that are
frayed, cracked or damaged.
Alarms Save Lives
- Purchase and install
working smoke alarms. Specialized alarms are
available for the kitchen.
- Test smoke alarms
monthly, and for battery operated smoke
alarms, replace batteries at least once a
If You Have A Kitchen Fire...
Put A Lid On It
- To extinguish a
grease fire, use a potholder or oven mitt and
slide a lid or cookie sheet over the flames,
then turn the source of heat off.
- If the flames do not
go out, immediately leave your home and call
the Fire Department.
- If a fire starts in
your oven, close the oven door and turn the
source of heat off.
- For a microwave fire,
keep the door closed and turn the microwave
- Remember: if the
flames do not go out, immediately leave your
home and call the Fire Department.
Drop and Roll
If your clothes catch on
the ground, cover your face with your hands.
over and over to smother the flames
Cool A Burn
- Immediately cool a
burn by placing it under cool water for 10-15
minutes. Cool water reduces skin damage and
minimizes the pain.
- NEVER use butter,
lotions, ice, or ointments. This only seals
the heat in.
- Don't break blisters.
This could cause infection.
- Apply a clean, dry
dressing to a first-degree burn after cooling.
Second and third-degree burns require
immediate medical attention.